Thursday, January 29, 2009

My To Do List

I started this a couple of days ago, but with the heat and then power outages, I'm never going to get it finished... so I'll post what I've done and update it later!

It is way too hot to do any sewing - 43 degrees for the second day in a row :(

So I'm trying to get organised with my to do list so when the cool change (to a nice and cool 30-something) comes I'll be ready to pop into Spotlight and buy all the stuff I need to proceed.

So... here goes...
*2 soft blocks for a couple of new babies using this tutorial
These are my #1 priority as I want to go and visit a very new baby and cannot do so without a gift! I'd like these done by Fri 6th Feb.

*toddler apron This is for the big brother of one of the new babies so also needs to be done by 6th Feb. I already have the fabric for this so I could probably get it cut out tomorrow.

* something special for DS's birthday. Hmmm.... Needs to be done by Fri 13th so I'm not stressing. Haven't left myself much time, have I? Especially given I don't know what I want to make...sigh...

Friday, January 16, 2009

Before, and.... more before shots

It has been HOT here this week, far too hot to sew. But I wanted to do something. So I tried to tidy my sewing area. Here are the before shots. Warning: photos may disgust!

This is my sewing desk:

Alongside my sewing desk:

On the next wall - the wardrobe which has a lot of my fabric in it - note most of this is old clothing waiting to be remodelled.

Continuing around the room is a little bookshelf:

And last but not least, another desk - this is on the wall behind my sewing desk:

The theory is that once I have the place tidy, I will post after shots. And thereby have my motivation to keep the place tidy! It is a lot easier to sew when everything is where it should be and the desk is clear. The reason I have such trouble with this is that everything seems to be sewn in a rush. So my main goal is to not leave projects to the last minute. Everything else should fall into place. Hopefully.

I'm not exactly short on space, but I am low on organisational skills!! This was meant to be our study, but DH seems happy for me to have completely taken it over :) He seems to like how happy sewing makes me.

It is actually a little tidier, I managed to find my main desk on the hot days, using FlyLady's [] 'you can do anything in 15 minute's' theory. I just haven't taken another photo yet... save that for another day

Monday, January 12, 2009

Cutest Little Model

Isn't he just the cutest?!?

These were meant to showcase the dress, but well, J wanted to show the world how cute he was :) The dress is the same pattern as the last one, but in a different fabric - obviously. I love this fabric - it's just from Spotlight though. The dress is size 9 months, J is 11 months, and it is pretty big on him. So it will swim on the girl it is for, but better to be big I reckon.

You can see here his lovely new squinty smile. I have no idea where it came from, but I love it.

I will endeavour to get a proper photo of the dress this week. I have made it twice in size 9 months, once in 12 months and I am sewing it up in size 2 years :) I am actually enjoying doing the same pattern multiple times. It is enabling me to do it better and better each time. For example, the top-stitching, of which there is two lines is actually almost parallel now :)

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Toddler dress revisited

The little dress I made - it is Burda 9708 -

I picked it up from Spotlight just before christmas. I made view C, without the applique, simply because I thought this would be the easiest one to do :)

It was really easy. The hardest part was the straps, which was funny given I chose a dress with tie-up straps t avoid button holes... but really, the straps weren't hard, just a little fiddly to get the curves right when sewing , and then you have to turn them in the right way (I don't like turning things, don't know why, but I always find it fiddly).

I've already started making two more of these dresses. I'm leaving out the interfacing as I really don't think it is necessary, if anything it made the bodice too stiff (probably would be different if you used a lighter-weight material, I used a quilter's cotton, so already quite thick). So, there are four main pieces to cut out, plus eight for the straps, and it goes together really quickly. Highly recommend it to anyone looking for a little girls pattern. When I have more time I will try one of the other views. Oh, and it is from 6 months to 3 years, so I'm going to get heaps of use out of it, making pressies for all the little girls I know.

Will update this with a photo of it on as soon as I can.

Tension sorted

Today i spent some time playing around with the tension on my sewing machine. After a bit googling, I found this site:

I followed it right through, thought it wouldn't hurt given my machine is older and I don't know it's service history. I have wondered in the past whether the top tension adjustor-thingy actually worked. Now I know it does, so that is handy :) I also adjusted the bobbin tension and I can now get a lovely even stitch. Woo Hoo! This should make my sewing a lot less stressful. If you're at all curious about tension, give the link a read, it's written by a machine servicer, but it is easy to read and indeed, quite humorous.

I'll see how the machine runs over the coming week or so and rethink whether it needs a service. Hopefully I've saved myself a hundred bucks!