Tuesday, November 25, 2008
The Next Mitt
I have made another oven-mitt, this one for my SIL's birthday. I thought it would be a lot quicker than the first one, but alas, due to a couple of silly mistakes, it took me just as long (around 2.5hrs). Firstly, when I was doing the quilting, the fabric on the underside got caught up and I sewed it folded up on itself, and obviously had to unpick. Then when doing the binding, I forgot to add in the hanging loop, and had to unpick. I don't like unpicking!! Oh, and I made my own binding :) It was supposed to be in a red to match the flowers (that I painstakingly picked to make sure it matched exactly) but I didn't dry it in time...
Other than that, I am very happy with this. It is an improvement on the first one. The quilting lines are straighter and evenly spaced, given I took the time to mark them out. I am sad to say that I marked the beginning and end of each line at the edge of the fabric and then used a ruler as a guide while I sewed. A sewing buddy told me a needed I special pen that comes off when you iron. Sounds like a winner to me!
Oh, and I made a matching card :) A subtle way of letting the recipent know that I made the mitt.