Sunday, November 9, 2008

November Sewing Challenge: Oven Mitt




This was my first attempt at sewing an oven mitt. I used a combination of these patterns/tutorials:

http://www.skiptomylou.org/2008/09/26/oven-mitt-pattern & http://www.allfreecrafts.com/sewing/oven-mitts.shtml

As I'm only new to sewing, I like instructions that are crystal clear. So I often refer to multiple sources when trying a new project. It helps to see how different people explain things. I actually merged the two patterns - I used the top bit (thumb and finger section) of the skiptomylou pattern, and the bottom half of the allfreecrafts one as it was a bit fancier. Now that I've finished, I think it would have been easier to do a straight bottom as this was also my first attempt at bias binding.



These two pics show the bias binding. And my not-so-straight stitching... you can see from the pic on the right that I actually didn't catch the binding on the wrong side for one section. I believe I did the binding correctly, I just should have sewn it a little closer to the edge (as in, move the binding closer to the edge) to allow for the bulk of the mitt. I did have trouble going around the bottom edge, it is all puckered. Not sure what I should have done here? But overall, I have to say that I am quite impressed by my efforts.

Oh, the quilting... it looks pretty good, but I don't think it needed to be so close together. And next time I'll make sure the lines on the two sides are lined up.

1 comment:

Roxys said...

oh brilliant!! The binding looks fine in the picture. I'm so impressed. Tam