Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Mothers' Day Sewing


A little late in posting this but better late than never - right?

The inspiration for this apron came from this tute (warning: if you've not visited craftster before, chances are you will spend hours wallowing in all the great tutes). I know mine doesn't look much like the tute, but it was my inspiration. The fabric for this started life as a single bed quilt cover (it's just a normal cotton though). So all that great gathering on the skirt of the apron - not my work! That's part of the skirt of the bedspread :)

What did I learn from this project? Don't blindly follow tutes! I love a good tute, they save me from thinking, and this was a nice, clear tute. But if I had of thought it through I could've saved a fair bit of time on all the straps - each of them was two pieces sewn together, turned and topstitched - very time-consuming. Next time I will cut the strap twice as wide and only have one seam to stitch. And there will be a next time, I love the way this turned out, I didn't want to give it away, lol. I love the fabric, I'm thinking it will make a great summer dress for me.

Oh, and I also made two matching pot mitts :)


P.S. sorry for the ordinary photo - we were racing out the door to mum's when I realised I hadn't taken a photo yet.

No comments: